Monday, March 17, 2008

Automatic Success,Theory

As found in the book "The Automatic Millionaire" and also in diet plans.
The best way to be successful at becoming rich or dieting or exercising or learning a new skill. Is to set up your life so that it automatically happens. Otherwise you have to battle your human compulsions. And you will convince yourself to not do things that are in your own best interests. all based on your feelings and not logic.
I used to drink soda pop all day long because I was addicted to the sugar in it. But then I started not including it in my shopping cart when I went to the store, because I was logical while shopping. And gradually the urge to drink soda disappeared. And now I only drink soda when it's offered to me. To automatically be on a diet, just don't include bad food on the shopping list and you will be forced to eat what's in the house, or eat out.
And the automatic millionaire works in the same way. If you have money in your pocket everyone tends to spend it just for immediate satisfaction and not long term satisfaction. So I think that I may need to set up an automatic, out of account, amount of money every month that goes towards an investment like gold or mutual funds. Because of dollar cost averaging being a good way to gain more over time. Rather than buying a set # of stocks every month you instead buy a set $ cost every month. And if it was in an IRA then I wouldn't be able to access the money without a lot of effort. Therefor I would have an automatic way to become rich.
And an automatic way to force yourself to exercise, would be to ride a bike one way until tired and then you would have to ride all the way back anyway no matter how tired you were. Or you could do something that you find fun like metal detecting which requires lots of exercise. Or you could get a job that you rely on that you get lots of exercise at while working.
And to automatically learn new things, a good trick is to buy books on tape that you have to listen to as you drive everywhere that you go. Or have a subscription to an online business word building site, that will send you 1 new word/day, in your email. As long as you check your emails every day anyways.

No comments: